Agnaldo dos Santos
Ilha de Itaparica - Bahia, 1926
Salvador - Bahia, 1962
In 1947, Agnaldo dos Santos was employed as a security guard in the studio of sculptor Mário Cravo Jr., where he showed interest and aptitude for sculpture. Encouraged by the artist, he began producing his own works in 1953. His first works aesthetically resembled traditional African art. Pierre Verger showed him photographs of African sculptures, which he found intriguing and influenced his subsequent work.
In the São Francisco river basin region, he met popular carrancas (boats figureheads) sculptors and studied with Francisco Biquiba dy Lafuente Guarany. Agnaldo's interest in carrancas was reflected in his output, which began to incorporate ever more elements of popular aesthetics of African origin. This motivated him to promote a revival and renewed appreciation of these pieces and popular artisans, presenting them to collectors and galleries, especially from Rio de Janeiro. In addition to having several works in the collection of the Afro Brazil Museum, his works are also part of the collection of the National Museum of Fine Arts in Rio de Janeiro and also held in important private collections